Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

First of all Happy Father's day to my wonderful dad and to all of the other great dads out there! So there is decent internet at the hotel right now so I decided to finally get around to blogging about Paris. It is beautiful here but also dirty and I feel like it is a little more sketchy here than it is in London. I would feel safer walking down the street at night in London than I do here but I am always with my friends here when I walk out of the hotel so I don't think I have much to be worried about. I haven't been to the Eiffel tower just yet but I have seen it and the plan is to go there tomorrow. So far I have been to the Louvre, the Musee D'orsay, the Pompadou, L'arc de Triumph, L'orangerie, and Versailles. My friends and I have been eating a lot of bagettes and cheese because it is just so delicious and cheap. My favorite type of cheese is this cheese spread my friend introduced me to called Tartare. It is delicious. I also enjoyed sitting in a nice little french restaurant and eating a traditional french meal with my whole study abroad group (we had to buy out the whole restaurant basically). There is lots of delicious gelatto here just as there was in London although I have found it easier to find my favorite types of european chocolate here than I did in London. I already got my favorite Cote D'or Orange and I have been nibbling on little bits of it since we got here. I also have been to several boulangeries and patissiers and gotten various things there for meals. I find it is more difficult to find reasonable places to eat here but the traditional food here is a lot better in some ways than the traditional British food. Hmm what else to say about Paris. Well most people speak french here but they actually frequently understand some English, I guess because of the numbers of tourists. I want to use my french more but I have been a little bit nervous that I will say something really wrong since it has been so long since I took the class. Everyone on my study abroad seems to be loving it here but I think people are getting ready to head back home. I am excited to share some of the fun things I have experienced here with my parents when they come at the end. We will have a blast and maybe I can do some blogging about our adventures on here too! Going to church today was really interesting. We went into a separate english speaking room and there was a missionary speaking into a microphone in the actual chapel who was attempting to translate for us. He did a pretty decent job I guess he was just whispering quitely so it was hard to hear and then they didn't want it to be too loud so it was hard to hear but I did get some sort of an idea as to what was going on since they did have a camera showing the stand. We only stayed for sacrament meeting so as not to inconveince the ward with our large numbers and lack of understanding the french language. It was cool though to see two young boys confirmed members of the church and given the gift of the holy ghost at the beginning of sacrament meeting and then to watch the adorable primary kids sing father's day songs in french to their dads. Tonight we are doing a river cruise as a study abroad group and then we have the eiffel tower as our last thing as a group. I can't believe this study abroad is almost over but I have learned so much more from it than I could have possibly imagined at the beginning. I honestly wondered why I was going in the beginning but I can see now that there was a lot for me to learn here about my classes, about the people around me, and about myself. I am so grateful that I have had this opportunity! Well hopefully I will be back for more blogging sometime soon. TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment