Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Castles!

Today we traveled over to the Kent area of London where we visited Dover and Hever Castle. We had to get up early and since I had stayed up late last night I was really tired so I slept on the bus. As a side note, part of why I was up so late was because I got an offer to be an EFY counselor during the summer and I spent some time accepting that. I am super excited for that opportunity! Anyways I fell asleep on the way there on the bus this morning and then I woke up when we arrived at Dover Castle. It was very misty and foggy at Dover castle but it was a cool castle to see even though you couldn't see very well in front of you. After this we got back in the bus and went down to the beach nearby. Fortunately for us, the fog started to clear up so that we were able to see the white cliffs of Dover from the beach. It was a beautiful view and there were lots of cool looking rocks on the beach. After this we got back in the bus and I tried to do some reading homework but mostly I just fell asleep. I also ate a little bit of my packed lunch which included a Galaxy candy bar. They are really beautiful creamy chocolate bars that they have here and I think I will have to find myself some more while I am here. When we arrived at Hever castle it was a lot clearer and less foggy. The grounds around the castle were beautiful, especially the gardens and it was interesting to learn about the history of the place inside the actual castle. It was once the residence of Anne Boelyn and her family. She was the second wife of King Henry VIII and gave birth to the future Queen Elizabeth. After this we got back on the bus and came back to the centre. I got some nice food from an Italian place nearby for dinner. Now I am working on homework for class tomorrow before I head off to bed. TTFN!
 With friends at Dover Castle
 Walking through the mist at Dover Castle

 The British flag in the mist at Dover Castle
 The white cliffs of Dover from the beach

 The Ocean! 

 The cool looking rocks on the beach in Dover

 Across the beautiful bridge to Hever castle

 In front of Hever Castle

 Beautiful view of Hever Castle

 Gorgeous flowers from Hever castle gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment