Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Churchill War Rooms and Delicious food

Hey sorry I didn't post yesterday. It wouldn't upload for some reason yesterday so I just gave up and went ot bed. Yesterday started out by going out to the the Churchill War Rooms which was really cool. It was the underground station for Churchill and other military officers during World War Two. There was a whole part focused just on Churchill. He had a lot of cool quotes including:

"Look at the Swiss! They have enjoyed peace for centuries and what have they produced? The cuckoo clock!"

"Never trust a man who does not have a single redeeming vice"

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm"

"Those Greeks and Romans, they are so overrated. They only said everything first. I've said just as good things myself. But they got in before me."

"The great thing is to get the true picture, whatever it is"

and of course there are a lot more than I am sure you have heard but those were just some that I wrote down while I was there. Also one thing that I learned about him that I thought was really fun was that he used to put stuffed animals in his bookcase to mark where he took a book. Because he liked stuffed animals I decided it's probably ok for me to like stuffed animals too. Anyways, it was really cool to be in the war rooms and try to imagine what it might have been like during World War II. Also it is really interesting to see the perspective of the war outside of the American context and how the UK felt about America joining the war.
After the war rooms we went to a pub to get a lovely lunch of roast of the day which was a repeat from earlier in the trip but it is just so good that I couldn't help repeating it. After lunch we went back and did homework and I took a little nap and then did some more homework. Then I went out and grabbed a little something for dinner and came back and watched some of a movie with my friends while eating popcorn all in all it was a pretty good day but I am getting a little sad that we will be leaving London soon. Fortunately for me I know I will be coming back to London for a little bit with my parents at the end of the trip. TTFN! I will probably write again about my day today later tonight.


:
 My friend Aubree and I in matching shirts that we got from Primark

 Military style in the the war rooms

 Another good Winston Churchill quote

 Dressing up like Winston Churchill!

 I remembered this sign from last time we were there and I once again am still confused what switch they mean. Are they promoting conserving energy? I wish there was a big red switch next to it. 

 It was a gray shoe day on the underground

Beautiful roast of the day from the pub

No comments:

Post a Comment