Saturday, May 4, 2013

Seeing the town!

So today I started out by rushing over to Portabello market with some of my friends. We got there pretty early and one of the shop owners told us that the market is "lazy on Saturday" and therefore things don't really get started until 10 in the morning but it was great for us because it wasn't too busy while we were there. We walked all the way down the street just looking and then on the way back made some purchases. I gained a cute scarf and pocket watch necklace from some little shops and my friends got various other things such as bone china teacups and wood phone cases. We also got some nice pastries for breakfast. After this we headed back to the center and gathered up things to go to the science museum. On our way to finding the science museum we saw the hyde park chapel and stopped in for a bit and talked with the missionaries there. It is a beautiful chapel and they have a fun and high tech little visitors center there. Also outside of their door they have this bright sign that says "Book of Mormon available here!". My friends and I thought how amusing it would be if someone came in looking for tickets to the book of mormon play (which is widely advertised here) and instead the missionaries were like actually we have something better, the actual book! You see signs for the book of mormon play everywhere but there are also a considerable amount of I'm a mormon signs too. I have seen them all over and today I got a picture of a one on a double decker bus.   After this we went into the museum and went to the exhibit we were assigned to for a project for class. It was a pretty cool looking science museum and I actually did learn some about the atmosphere like I was supposed to for the assignment but my friends and I did end up losing each other a couple times during our time there which is extremely inconvenient when you can't really call each other on the phone. You don't really realize how much you use your phone to contact people until you can't. After the museum some of my friends wanted to check out Herrods and I went even though I was getting very hungry because it was like 2 in the afternoon. So we went into Herods and realized that there was no way we were going to be to spend our money eating there so we went to this little pizza place called pizza express. It was a sit down restaurant which doesn't seem very "express" to me but the pizza was quite good and we all ate it down quickly. After this we went back to Herrods which I got bored of quite quickly. I saw no point in looking at stuff that there was absolutely no way I was going to buy. It was all ridiculously expensive and honestly I was disgusted by that store. I mean nobody needed anything that was in that store and it just disgusted me that there are enough people with that much money to buy stuff at that store that that store is able to stay in business even though it is just a ridiculous show of flambouancy. I mean if I was rich I would definitely not waste my money with stupid things like freakishly expensive bedazzled shoes or designer underwear for children. Also I found it very interesting that they were also advertising for The Great Gatsby movie there. I mean I understand how the ridiculous displays of wealth in the great gatsby match up with Herrods but then again we all know how it ends for gatsby so are the people at Herrods trying to warn people it will be the same for them...     Anyways after Herods we just couldn't stand the expensiveness so we went and bought mcflurries and the nearby mcdonalds for just a pound. Ah spending little money and getting satisfied with the product is so wonderful! After this we headed or to the Peacock theater where we bought some student discount tickets to the play "Some Like It Hip Hop". I actually really enjoyed the play more than I expected I would. It was quite amusing, the dancers were very skilled and talented and they also had some great singers. It made me and all of my friends feel like dancing and they encouraged everyone to cheer and yell during the play since it was "hip hop theater". In the last curtain call they encourage everyone to get up and dance some moves. We were singing and dancing all the way back to the tube and home. All in all it was a rather busy but enjoyable day. Tomorrow it will be exciting as me and some of my classmates try to navigate our way to our assigned ward in London. Fortunately, the ward is not until later in the day so we don't have to wake up too early. Well I'm off to bed in London. TTFN!

 Shopping on Portabello Road

 Hyde Park Chapel

 I'm a Mormon add on a double decker bus!

 First play in London! 

 My acquisitions from Portabello Road
 Pocket Watch necklace

No comments:

Post a Comment