Thursday, May 9, 2013

Defying Gravity!

So today started off with classes. First was Humanities where we talked about the various purposes of different types of gardens and then about the book To the Lighthouse. My favorite part of our discussion today was about how great love is to recognize distance between you and the other person. We discussed the idea that great love protects the solitude of the other person and allows them to be their own person. My teacher stated that marriage promotes unity by guarding individuality and we discussed that it is the same with the gospel too. There is a quote by C. S. Lewis that we used that also talks about this type of individuality in terms of literature: "Literary experience heals the wound, without undermining the privilege of individuality. There are mass emotions which heal the wound, but they destroy the privilege. In them our separate selves are pooled and we sink back into the sub-individuality. But in reading great literature I become a thousand mean and yet remain myself. Like a night sky in the Greek poem. I see with a myriad eyes, but it is still I who see. Here, as in worship, in love, in moral action, and in knowing. I transcend myself; and am never more myself than when I do." In Art class we talked about Theater and gesture drawing and talked more about sketching. I am excited to sketch and think I will try to spend some more time doing it while I am on this trip.
After class, we went over to the theater to get student tickets for Wicked. They were a really great price and pretty nice seats. After getting our tickets we went back to the centre to eat dinner which was delicious once again and then back out to see the play. When we got to the play I started getting really excited and the theater itself was beautiful when we walked in. I had never seen wicked before even though I knew most of the music and I honestly really enjoyed the play. I also found it quite enjoyable that the actors and actresses had British accents. It was a wonderful experience. Lots of crazy stuff going on in London! TTFN!

 Outside the Theater before Wicked

 My Ticket!

 The awesome stage set up 

Our faces of amazement after watching the play

No comments:

Post a Comment