Thursday, May 23, 2013

Two Classes and a Concert

So today started out with class where we first briefed on the recent attack and killing of a soldier in London. The BYU security people said they weren't super concerned about it but that we should stay away from mosques, protests, and military things to keep us safe. So don't worry guys I will stay safe! We started out with art class where we learned about shading and value and then we tried to practice it and I realized I really had no idea what I was doing but I did practice for a bit so hopefully I am getting better. After art class we had a brief break for lunch and then we had humanities class where we talked about a lot of deep philosophies which included scientific naturalism that science is the only way of understanding the natural world and the natural world is all there is and Natural theology which is that the word of God is the ultimate explanation and secondary explanations are irrelevant and should be rejected. These were very interesting ideas to discuss and they got me thinking a lot. After this I worked on some homework before I had to go help out with dinner because I am now on the "dinner crew" because it is my groups turn this week. Basically I help with whatever needs to get done to prepare dinner for all of us and then clean everything up after. After dinner I went off with my friends to go listen to Beethoven's ninth which was performed at St. Paul's Cathedral by the English Chamber Orchestra. It is very moving music and I found it to be a wonderful experience to listen to such beautiful music in a beautiful building like St. Paul's. When we left St. Paul's a friend and I went to primark where we both got sweaters because we have both been really cold with the weather that has been going on here in London and I really did not pack enough sweaters. Hopefully it will get warmer but at least now I can stay warm with a cute sweater. When I got home there were some people singing and one of the professors kids was playing the guitar so I went in and sang and harmonized with my friend. It was quite an enjoyable evening. Well TTFN!

 On the steps of St. Paul's 

 Beethoven's ninth in St. Paul's

 My view of the choir and orchestra in St. Paul's

Don't Blink! (Dr. Who reference)

No comments:

Post a Comment